Monday, June 15, 2015

Lighthouse of the Sky


Well here I, Sweet William The Scot, am at The Cincinnati Observatory.
Where you can see through the oldest public telescope in the country.
Tucked away at the end of a picturesque cul-de-sac in a residential neighborhood sits a different era.  You feel the history in your bones when you come here.  The Observatory is a picturesque jewel-box of a building capped by a silver dome.
The community where it sits was named Mt. Lookout in honor of the observatory. 
 
The Birthplace of American Astronomy.
Observatory's Herget Building
It houses one of the oldest working telescopes and was the first public observatory in the western hemisphere. 
It is a fully functioning 19th century observatory used daily by the public and amateur astronomers. 
The main telescopes are an 11-inch Merz and Mahler refractor purchased in 1842 and a 16-inch Alvan Clark and Sons refractor from 1904.  The lens for the older telescope came from Munich, Bavaria and is of incomparable quality. Mitchel who raised the money for the lens, found and brought the lens here, died in service during the Civil War.
Open the door please.
 
 Why time stands still in here.
 On the 9th of November, 1843, a crowd of thousands witnessed former president John Quincy Adams preside over the dedication of the observatory.  He laid the cornerstone of the observatory building.
When the great refractor saw first light on April 14, 1845 it was the largest refractor in the Western Hemisphere and third largest in the world.
  
The second director, Cleveland Abbe, published the nation’s first weather forecasts and he later assisted in the founding of the National Weather Service.
The historic buildings are designated as a National Historic Landmark, and the grounds provide a serene, park-like setting while still being centrally located in my Nati.   
Telescope training, star parties, weddings, art shows, fund raisers, business meetings, concerts, and movies are all held here.
 
 In front sits a sundial.
Yep I tested that sundial and it was right according to Lee's watch.
Observatory's Mitchel Building. 
Why look what I found in that tree!
A cache find.  Wonder how many Geocachers have found this one!
Why Finn and Charlie posted about looking for these and Easy's mom climbed over a fence and stepped in something stinky in search of one.  We just find them without looking.
I am sorry the morning I went the dome was not open for the public.
You need to go at night for that to happen and our camera does not take night pictures.
 
I was here the day before I got my bum peppered with tiny pebbles.
I went to the vet last Monday evening and she said as long as they can still express my anal gland manually from the inside I will not need surgery. I have healed but with scar tissue.  I cannot do it for myself since the gland now sits at the bottom of my bum and not on the side like it should.
We have more to tell you about the little boy, my reader student, who did that to me but I will tell you next time.  He has stopped three times since I last mentioned him.

Thanks for being a  friend
Traveling down the road and back again
Your heart is true and your a friend of  mine
Signing Off 
Sweet William The  Scot 

23 comments :

  1. I really hope you get well soon. Xo MaddiethePug

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to sit in your time-machine to travel back to historic places and pawsons... I love it to discover secrets and treasures with ya... and maybe you can come once for sniffing out a geocache... it's a little embarrassing to write "epic fail" in our geocache logbook the whole time hahahaha
    easy rider

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are still improving and paws crossed no surgery is needed.
    That observatory is amazing, my Dad will be green with the jellyness when I tell him you went there, we luffs the astronomy thingys in this kennel
    Take care, luffs and hugs to Lee
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. what an interesting place - such a great history

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your city has so many interesting places that have been there for a long time. Thank you for sharing your city with us. I just love hearing that you will not need surgery and I pray that it stays that way for years and years and years. My best to you and Lee.
    Bentley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the places I have showed you so far sit within twelve miles of my home. And still I have that many more close by. I have not even touched on the west side of Nati yet.
      Thanks for stopping by Bentley.
      SWTS

      Delete
  6. You always have such interesting facts about where you live Sweet William to show us. We are so happy you are feeling better, and surgery is not something you will need. I hope your charm we sent to you, protects you forever and ever. Stellie Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat-o place. We never sawed anything like that
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMD OMD Sweet WM.... we knew NONE of this.... How AMAZING... the OLDEST Public Telescope... and it is right here in OHIO.......
    You show and tell the best stuffs...
    What a GRAND and BEAUTIFUL place and so WELL cared for!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do they have the coin on display that Cleveland Abbe used to flip to predict the weather?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so lucky that you get to visit all these neat places and learn all this history! I always learn so much from your posts

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another wonderful place to visit in your fine city Sweet William. Oh how Gail and I would love to visit that fine old observatory and gaze at the heavens through those beautiful, historic telescopes…
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.
    PS So glad your rear end is getting a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that is one pawsome Tellyscope Sweet Wm!!! I had no idea that it was there in Ohio!! Very cool! And you gots to visit it! Ma never takes me no wheres!!! I am all kinds of jealous Wm!!!
    I am so glads your hinnie is healin' up well! That makes me soooo happy that you won't have to have the surgicals!!
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a gorgeous building. SHE loves historical things. Thanks for showing us.

    We're glad you're feeling better even if you have to suffer indignities at times. Good for Lee to try to keep you from surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We love seeing the history you show us - it makes mom hope they can travel when they retire and see some of these historic places in person. We are glad no surgery, you know that Lee loves you alot to take of your hiney for you.
    hugs
    Mr bailey, hazel & mabel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crikey Sweet William ...... Mum and I love hearing about the beautiful area where you live. If ever we get to the States we will definitely visit Cincinnati and it's all because of you. That building is so beautiful.
    I hope you continue to improve William.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom has always wanted to go to an observatory. Cincinnati has a lot of interesting places and we appreciate you sharing it with us. I'm so glad you bum has healed sucks that Lee has to the dirty job for you. Don't feel bad it happens to me every time a go to the fur stealer.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an interesting place you got to visit.
    Observatories are such a window to things we can't see too well with our own eyes...be we pups or humans.

    Pawppy and growlmy went to the big observatory in Washington DC...but the name escapes growlmy; too ancient is her brain these days, BOL!!
    That was befur I was on the earth to look through a telescope, BOL!!

    I am glad that you are healing well in your body, may it be so with your spirit too. You sure have undergone a lot in your young life.

    Licks and wags!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the history lesson. We're glad to hear you are healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you're not gonna need surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you're feeling better! Look at that cache - I wonder what's inside of it?? and that's a pretty cool place you got to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your poor little bottom... Glad you are feeling better...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rongy-dingy-dee, why where you live there is so much history! That was a wonderful tour of the observatory and the park. How cool that sundial really works. I am glad you will not need surgery, my dear friend. So long as someone can make your butt work, then yes you will be fine.
    Your friend...to the end
    Oz

    ReplyDelete